Healthcare Expo is people centered health education and interactive event designed for outreach to provide motivation to consumers to take actions and make healthier living choices. It often includes representatives from various organizations that promote awareness of certain heath concerns and promote health and wellness, demonstrations of various health and wellness-related products and activities, and more importantly education pertaining health issues along with health screenings.
The healthcare industry is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing industries. In other countries they organize healthcare expos every year and, gathering thousands of healthcare companies exhibiting and hundreds of thousands of visitors.
Should Australia organise healthcare expos like their American counterparts?
Well maybe they should. It’s definitely worth the research. The difference between Australia and America is not the main concern but the health and awareness of the people in a community. Healthcare expo serves many purposes and it’s been described as effective ways “to provide valuable health information and screening services to large numbers of people in a convenient ‘one-stop shop’ format”.
When a community plans a healthcare expo it’s not only the public that benefits it but also the vendors attending the expo. Most healthcare expo covers multiple areas of health, from cardiovascular to dental and even mental wellness.
- Medical screenings — blood sugar and pressure, hearing and vision tests, cholesterol and diabetes risk assessments, asthma and allergy screenings
- Health insurance — provide plan details, host one-on-one advising sessions
- Alternative wellness — yoga, meditation, reiki, acupuncture, acupressure
- National health awareness — American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Diabetes Association
- Local health department — your city and state offices to promote local wellness
- Fire and police departments — discuss community safety and protocols
- Dietitian and nutrition experts — advice on healthy eating, weight management plans
This means the community hosting the expo would need to branch out with vendors that offer wellness-related products – anything from health-friendly snacks and local organic restaurants to bike stores and yoga instructors. This in turn will provide marketing advantages to various vendors in the area.
It goes without saying that health fairs are one of the most recognizable forms of community-based health promotion conducted around the world benefiting the both establishments and people in the community.